"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." {Louisa May Alcott}

Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Rose by Any Other Name..

Today I realized that I have never explained the reasoning behind my Blog title. So I shall do this now, a little late, but better late than never! - my personal motto by the way, because I am always late.


I wish I lived in ancient Rome, Greece; medieval or Victorian England; even 18th, 19th, and early 20th century America. I want to live in a time period where propriety and good manners are mandatory and respected. I want to live in a time with no cell phones, computers, where the only forms of communication were by letters. When it took weeks to travel somewhere and long distance was traversed in ships and sailing vessels. Where you have a true love who only seeks to wed you and have a long, drawn out courtship with pages and pages of love letters sealed with wax. I want to be written about in a poem and have lavish balls and parties. I want to ballroom dance and have masquerades and go to operas and be driven in horse-drawn coaches. I want to wear a corset, or a toga, or go bare-breasted like the ancient Egyptians. I want everyone to talk eloquently with extravagant words, and have learning a foreign language be mandatory, or be able to walk the streets of Athens or Rome and see Aristotle or Plato or Socrates philosophizing away. Or I want to dress up and go hear Frank Sinatra or James Dean and wear beautiful jewelry and have handsome men open doors....



Well I think you get the drift. If anyone has invented a time machine, I would pay my weight in gold to hop aboard. Oh the places I'd go. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment